Скачать 1.36 Mb.
JOHN P. GIESY, JR.
June 7, 2008
BORN: Youngstown, Ohio USA; August 9, 1948
CITIZENSHIP: USA (Permanent resident of Canada)
MARRIED: Wife: Susan Elaine Damerell; Married September 5, 1970
Child: Emily Jean; Born December 11, 1979
LANGUAGES: English (native), French, German
* B.S., Summa Cum Laude, Honors in Biology, Alma College, Alma Michigan, 1970
* M.S., Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan, Fisheries & Wildlife (Limnology), 1971
* Ph.D., Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan, Fisheries & Wildlife (Limnology), 1974
PRESENT POSITION: Professor and Canada Research Chair in
Environmental Toxicology, Dept. Veterinary
Biomedical Sciences and Toxicology Centre,
University of Saskatchewan
ADDRESS: Department of Veterinary Biomedical Sciences
Western College of Veterinary Medicine
University of Saskatchewan
52 Campus Drive
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan S7N 5B4
TELEPHONE: Office: (306) 966 2096
Home: (306) 1955-3819
FAX: (306) 931-1664
SCUBA CERTIFICATION: NASDS, 1978
SECURITY CLEARANCES: Q:1974 1976 (US DOE); L:1976 1981
(US DOE), 1993-1994 (US Navy, Midway Island)
* Emeritus Distinguished Professor of Zoology, Michigan State University, 2007-Present
* Visiting Professor, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST)
* Institute for Environmental Management Technology (EMTECH), Japan, 2004-Present
1* Chair Professor at large, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China; 2003-Present
* Concurrent Professor: Nanjing University, Nanjing, China; 2003-Present
* National Food Safety and Toxicology Center; 1997-Present
* Aquatic Toxicology
* Environmental analytical chemistry of organic compounds
* Environmental Chemistry (Fates of trace substances in aquatic ecosystems)
* Trace metal analysis and speciation, cycling and toxicity
* Simulation models of environmental fates of trace substances
* Microcosms and multi-species toxicity testing
* Biochemical & molecular toxicology (Biomarkers)
* Wildlife toxicology
* Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons
* Photo induced toxicity in aquatic organisms
* Avian toxicology and habitat requirements
* Planar, halogenated hydrocarbons (PCBs, PCDD and PCDF)
* Ecological risk assessment
* Agricultural Chemicals
* Endocrine modulating compounds
* Perfluorinated compounds: analytical and environmental chemistry and toxicity
* Sediment toxicity assessment
* Instructor of Biology, 1972
Savannah River Ecology Laboratory
* Assistant Research Ecologist: 1976 1980
* Associate Research Ecologist: 1980 1981
* Program Manager, Aquatic Ecology: 1979 1981
University of Georgia
* Assistant Professor, Zoology: 1976 1980
* Associate Professor, Zoology: 1980-1981
* Graduate Faculty: 1976 1981
* Ecology Faculty: 1978 1981
University of South Carolina Aiken Campus
* Instructor of Biology: 1976
* Adjunct Assistant Professor of Biology: 1978 1981
University of Florida
* Adjunct Assistant Professor of Environmental Engineering: 1978 1981
Michigan State University
* Adjunct Assistant Professor of Fisheries and Wildlife: 1980
* Associate Professor of Fisheries and Wildlife (35%): 1981 1985
* Pesticide Research Center; 1981-1997
* Coordinator of Environmental Effects Research, College of Natural Science (10%),
Pesticide Research Center (45%): 1981 1987
* Professor of Fisheries and Wildlife; 1985 1993
* Distinguished Professor of Fisheries & Wildlife; 1993-1997
* Distinguished Professor of Zoology, Professor of Veterinary Medicine: 1997-2006
* Professor of Zoology Emeritus, 2006-Present
* Center for Environmental Toxicology: 1981 2004
* Center for Integrative Toxicology: 2004-2006
* Ecology, Evolution and Behavior Program Faculty: 1986-2006
* Center for Hazardous Waste Management: 1990-2006
* Canadian Studies Center: 1983-2006
* USDI Water Science Fellow Training Faculty; 1985-2006
* Preceptor NIH Training Grant (Pathology/Veterinary Medicine); 1981-2006
* National Institutes of environmental Health Safety Training Faculty: 1991-2006
University of Bayreuth, Bayreuth Germany
* Visiting Professor, Chair of Ecological Chemistry and Geochemistry: 1987-1988
Office of Water, Soil and Air Hygiene Federal Republic of Germany, Berlin
* Visiting Scientist: 1989
Italian Hydrobiological Institute, of the Italian National Research Council, Pallanza, Italy
* Visiting Scientist: 1989 1990
Biological Research Station of Helgoland, List/Sylt, Germany
* Visiting Scientist: 1993
National Center of Hygiene Medical Ecology and Nutrition, Sofia Bulgaria
* Training program-Visiting Scientists, 2002-2003.
Department of Biology and Chemistry, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, SAR, China
* Chair Professor at Large: 2003-Present.
Nanjing University, Environmental Sciences Program, Nanjing, China
* Concurrent Professor, 2003-Present
National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST) Institute for Environmental Management Technology (EMTECH), Japan
* Visiting Professor: 2004-Present.
HONORS AND AWARDS:
* Varsity letter—Wrestling, Alma College
* National Science Foundation Undergraduate Research Fellow: 1969
* Alpha Society (Scholarship, Leadership, Athletics): 1970
* Phi Sigma Pi (Scholastic Honorary): 1969
* Omicron Delta Kappa (Men's Leadership Honorary): 1970
* Beta Beta Beta Alma College Chapter (Biology Honorary),
President: 1969 1970
* Frank G. Brooks Award: 1970
* Woodrow Wilson Fellow Honorable Mention: 1970
* National Science Foundation Fellow Honorable Mention: 1970
* Fulbright Fellow, Environmental Toxicology Program University of Bayreuth, Federal
Republic of Germany: 1987-1988
* Chevron Distinguished Lecture University. California Davis: 1989
* Sigma Xi Junior Investigator Research Award Michigan State University Chapter
(for Continued Excellence in Scientific Research): 1989
* Researcher of the Month Laboratory Animal Resources Department, Michigan State University
(for excellence in research on animals): 1989
* CIBA GEIGY Agricultural Recognition Award in Environmental Science: 1990
* Pew Scholars Program - Presidential Nominee, Michigan State University: 1992
* Willard F. Shephard Award for service to the field of pollution control. Michigan Water Pollution Control Association: 1992
* Election to the International Platform Association: 1992
* International Man of the Year in Environmental Toxicology -
International Biographical Centre, Cambridge, England:
* Distinguished Professor Award - Michigan State University: 1993
* QUINTESSENCE: Excellence in Environnemental Contamination & Toxicology: 1994
For the publication: Hoke, R.A., P.D. Jones, A.E. McCubbin, M.J. Zabik and J.P. Giesy. 1994. Use of in vitro assays of sediment extracts to detect and quantify contaminants with similar modes of action. Chemosphere 28:169-181.
"This publication was selected as an example of excellence in the field of Environmental Contamination & Toxicology for 1) its significance and impact on the scientific field as a whole; quality of design and overall scientific excellence."
* Vollenweider Environmental Science Award: 1994. Awarded annually by Environment Canada Government (Canadian Center For Inland Waters, Burlington) for "excellence in International Freshwater Research and Scientific Leadership"
* SETAC Founders Award: 1995. This is the most prestigious award presented by the Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC) to an Individual for outstanding contributions to the fields of Environmental Toxicology & Chemistry”.
* Alma College Distinguished Alumni Award: 1996. This award is given an individual who has “distinguished themselves through service to society and Alma College”.
* Best student paper Award from the Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry: 1997
Richter, C.A., J.P. Giesy, V.L. Tieber and M.S. Denison. 1997. An in vitro Rainbow Trout Cell Bioassay for Aryl Hydrocarbon Receptor-Mediated Toxins. Environ. Toxicol. Chem. 16:543-550.
* Best student paper Award from the Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry: 1999
Villeneuve, D.L., C.A. Richter, A.L. Blankenship and J.P. Giesy. 1999. Rainbow Trout Cell Bioassay Derived Relative Potencies for Halogenated Aromatic Hydrocarbons: Comparison and Sensitivity Analysis. Environ. Toxicol. Chem. 18:879-888.
* Best student paper award from International Symposium on Halogenated Environmental Organic Pollutants and POPs, Organohalogen Compounds, 2001.
Khim, J.-S., K.-T. Lee, D. L. Villeneuve, K. Kannan, J. P. Giesy and C.-H. Koh. 2001. Characterization of Dioxin-Like and Estrogenic Compounds in Environmental Samples from Onsan Bay and It’s Inland Region, Korea. Organohalogen Compounds. 51:31-34.
* ISI Highly Cited Author Recognition- 2002: J.P. Giesy was identified by Current Contents as one of the world’s most cited authors. Based on the frequency with which his papers are cited by other authors, Current Contents has identified Prof. Giesy as a person who is in the top 0.1% of active authors. In 2001 Prof. Giesy was recognized as an ISI Highly Cited Author (ISIHighlyCited.com).
* ISI Highly Cited Author Recognition-2002: J.P. Giesy was the 7th most cited author out of approximately 20,000 people who published in the fields of Ecology and Environment over the period 1992-2002 (ISI Current Contents: ISIHighlyCited.com) http://www.in-cites.com/scientists/env-eco.html
* InCites Highly Cited Author Recognition-2003: J.P. Giesy was the 6th most cited author in the Fields of Ecology and Environment over the period of 1993-2003: http://www.in-cites.com/top/2003/fourth03-env.html
* InCites Highly Cited Author Recognition-2003: J.P. Giesy is the 3rd most cited author in the area of Polychlorinated Biphenyls in the environment: http://www.esi-topics.com/pcb/interviews/JohnPGiesy.html
* InCites Highly Cited Author Recognition-2004: J.P. Giesy was the 6th most cited author in the Fields of Ecology and Environment over the period of 1994-2004. Based on 147 papers monitored for the period Prof. Giesy had a total of 3, 060 citations with an average citations per paper of 20.82: http://www.in-cites.com/top/2004/fourth04-env.html
* InCites Highly Cited Author Recognition-2005: J.P. Giesy was the 4th most cited author in the Fields of Ecology and Environment over the period of 1995-2005. Based on 155 papers monitored for the period, Prof. Giesy had a total of 4,077 citations with an average citations per paper of 26.3: http://in-cites.com/top/2005/index.html#Environment%20/Ecology
* InCites Highly Cited Author Recognition-2006: J.P. Giesy was the 2nd most cited author in the Fields of Ecology and Environment over the period of 1996-2006. Based on 171 papers monitored for the period, Prof. Giesy had a total of 4,669 citations with an average citations per paper of 27.3: http://in-cites.com/top/2006/fifth06-env.html
*InCites Highly Cited Author Recognition-2007: J.P. Giesy was the 2nd most cited author in the Fields of Ecology and Environment over the period of 1997-2007. Based on 175 papers monitored for the period, Prof. Giesy had a total of 4,884 citations with an average citations per paper of 27.9: http://in-cites.com/top/2007/fourth07-env.html
* Best Ecological Risk Assessment Paper published during 2001 in Human and Ecological Risk Assessment
Solomon K. R, Giesy J.P., Kendall R .J, Best L. B., Coats J. R, Dixon K. R., Hooper M. J., Kenaga E.E., McMurry ST. 2001. Chlorpyrifos: Ecotoxicological Risk Assessment for Birds and Mammals in Corn Agro-ecosystems. Human Ecol Risk Assess. 7:497-632.
* 1The following paper was selected by the Journal Toxicological Sciences to he highlighted and a special review article written:
Hu, W., P. D. Jones, B. L. Upham, J. E. Trosko, C. Lau and J. P. Giesy. 2002. Inhibition of Gap Junctional Intercellular Communication by Perfluorinated Compounds in Dolphin Kidney and Rat Liver Epithelial Cell Lines. Tox. Sci. 68:429-436.
The Citation for the Highlight article is: Ruch, R.J., 2002. Toxicological Highlight: Intercellular Communications, Homeostasis and Toxicology. Toxc. Sci. 68:265-266.
* Environmental Science and Technology Highly Cited Paper Award.
Highly Cited Papers are The listed papers were in the top 20 cited papers out of the thousands of papers published in ES&T and designated as “Highly Cited articles” because they were in the top 1% of the most-cited papers during the last 10 years. Citations are counted from all sources, and are cumulated from the year of publication through the current year.
* The following paper was the 3rd most cited papers published in ES&T for 2006.
Yeung, L. W. Y, I. M. K., So, G. Jiang, S. Taniyasu, N. Yamashita, M. Song, Y. Wu, J. Li, J. P. Giesy and P. K. S. Lam. 2006. Perfluorooctanesulfonate and Related Fluorochemicals in Human Blood Samples from China. Environ. Sci. Technol. 40:715-720.
* The following paper was the 11rd most cited papers published in ES&T for 2007.
Giesy, J. P. and K. Kannan. 2001. Global Distribution of Perfluorooctane Sulfonate and Related Perfluorinated Compounds in Wildlife. Env. Sci. Technol. 35:1339-1342.
* SETAC Environmental Education Award: 2002.
This is one of the 5 most prestigious awards given by the Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC). “The award is presented annually to recognize an individual, group or organization for significant contributions to environmental education. You have been recognized by the society with this award for contributions to improving environmental science curricula and development of programs to enhance environmental literacy and awareness at the undergraduate and graduate levels at your university and throughout the world as well as through participation in many advisory boards, foundations, committees and consultancies. In addition the award represents a lifetime of impact on all aspects of environmental science through the many outstanding students, post docs and visiting scientists whom you have trained.”
* Who’s Who Award for Achievement: 2002
* 21st Century Award for Achievement: 2002
* Sir E.W. Russell Lectureship Award: 2003 Given by the British Soil Science Society for significant contributions in science.
* All-University Excellence in Diversity Award—Individual Lifetime Achievement, Michigan State University: 2005
* Man of the Year: American Biographical Institute Board of International Research. 2007. For overall accomplishment and contributions to society.
* Best student poster presentation.: 34th Aquatic Toxicity Workshop, Halifax, Nova Scotia, October 2, 2007. “Differential effects of environmental chemicals and selected pharmaceuticals on aromatase activity.” With E. Higley, J.L. Newsted and M. Hecker, P.D. Jones and X. hang.
* Best student platform presentation. 34th Aquatic Toxicity Workshop, Halifax, Nova Scotia, October 2, 2007. “Gene expression and histological structure as biomarkers of chemical exposure in Japanese medaka.” With A. Tompsett, J.-W. Park, J.L. Newsted, M. Hecker, P.D. Jones and X. Zhang.
* Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry Highly Cited Paper Award. The following paper was one of the 5 most cited papers published in ET&C during 2008: Solomon, K. R., D. B. Baker, R. P. Richards, K. R. Dixon, S. J. Klaine, T. W. LaPoint, R. J. Kendall, J. M. Giddings, J. P. Giesy, L. W. Hall, Jr., C. P. Weisskopf and W. M. Williams. 1996. Ecological Risk Assessment of Atrazine in North American Surface Waters. Environ. Toxicol. Chem. 15:31-76.
BIOGRAPHICAL LISTINGS: Prof. Giesy is listed in 43 Biographical Listings
|A. Organic chemistry is the study of carbon compounds||Environmental chemistry – I|
|教科書為Advanced Organic Chemistry: Part B: Reaction and Synthesis (Advanced Organic Chemistry / Part B: Reactions and Synthesis)||Литература. Андруз Дж., П. Бримблекумб, Т. Джикелз, П. Лисс. Введение в химию окружающей среды = An introduction to environmental chemistry: пер с англ|
Андруз Дж., П. Бримблекумб, Т. Джикелз, П. Лисс. Введение в химию окружающей среды = An introduction to environmental chemistry:...
|Cellular Toxicology is the third tutorial on toxicology produced by the Toxicology and Environmental Health Information Program of the National Library of||Toxicology Tutor II is the second of three toxicology tutorials being produced by the Toxicology and Environmental Health Information Program of the National|
|Volcanology, environmental remote sensing, and atmospheric chemistry||Chem 6v39: Organic Electronics (Special Topics in Organic Chemistry)|
|Analytical chemistry : a modern approach to analytical science / edited by J. M. Mermet, M||Faq on the paper: Biotic Self-purification of Aquatic Ecosystems|
Остроумов С. А. О биотическом самоочищении водных экосистем. Элементы теории. Дан. Доклады академии наук