Скачать 0.93 Mb.
3.4 C34 Building Construction
Name of the Module : Building Construction
Module Code : C34
Semester : III
Credit Value : 12
Module Leader : Mr. Tandin Dorji
Module Tutor : Mr. Tandin Dorji and Mr. Dwarika Gotamey
This module will introduce the students to the concepts of various construction procedures and safety precautions and will prepare the students to develop the functional requirements of buildings.
At the end of this module, students will be able to:
1. Classify masonry construction and recommend appropriate choices of construction.
2. Construct the types of bonds in brick masonry.
3. Carry out plastering on a given surface with appropriate choice of mortar.
4. Choose the right type of floors and floor finishes according to requirements.
5. Compare the function of lintels and arches.
6. Identify the various components of doors and windows.
7. Appraise the need of scaffolding, shoring and underpinning.
8. Examine the causes of dampness in buildings and propose the corrective and preventive measures.
9. Recognize the necessity of ventilation and air conditioning and choose the right method of ventilation.
Learning and teaching approach used:
Continuous assessment : 25 Marks
Continuous assessment Practical : 25 Marks
Practical : 25 Marks
Note: Refer assessment format 5.1 for practical works
Semester End Examination : 100 Marks
Written Examination : 100 Marks
Pre-requisite: C13 - Engineering Materials, C22 - Civil Engineering Drawing -I
1. BRICK MASONARY AND STONE MASONRY: Types of joints in stone masonry, types of stone masonry, types of bonds in Brick masonry, supervision of stone and brick masonry works, types of composite masonry, construction and function of a cavity wall, construction of brick partition wall, timber partitions, plywood and hard board partitions.
2. FLOORS AND FLOOR FINISHES: Timber, stone, concrete, bricks and marble floors and their suitability, cement, terrazzo, mosaic and marble floor finish, floor coverings such as linoleum and P.V.C.
3. LINTELS AND ARCHES: Functions of lintels, types of lintels, classifications of arches.
4. DOORS AND WINDOWS: Location of doors and windows, types of doors and windows: fully panelled doors and windows, partly glazed doors and windows, fully glazed doors and windows, flush doors, rolling shutter, revolving door, and collapsible gate and sliding shutter, ventilator combined with window or door, fixtures and fastening.
5. SCAFFOLDING, SHORING AND UNDERPINNING: Necessity scaffolding, types of scaffolds, necessity shoring, types of shores, necessity of underpinning.
6. PLASTERING AND POINTING: Plastering and pointing, types of mortar, methods of plastering, types of plaster finishes, types of pointing, wallpapers, hard boards and other materials for interior decoration.
7. DAMPNESS AND ITS PREVENTION: Dampness and its causes, effects of dampness, methods of damp proofing in roofs, walls and floors, materials used for damp proofing.
8. VENTILATION AND AIR CONDITIONING: Necessity and functional requirements of ventilation system, methods of ventilation, air conditioning and its advantages.
1. Laying and construction of the following masonry walls using dry mortar;
i) Different types of stone masonry, ii) Different types of brick masonry
2. Erect Bricklayer’s / Mason’s scaffold and demonstrate the use of various types of knots and lashings.
3. Plaster a given surface using mud mortar.
4. Carry out different types of pointing in a masonry wall.
1. Barry 1982, Construction of Buildings Vol. I to V, Granada, New York
2. Mckay,W. B 1991, Building Construction Vol. I to IV, Orient Longmen, London.
3. Punmia, B.C 1984, Building Construction, Laxmi Publication Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi.
4. Rangwala, S.C 1989, Building material, Charotar Publications, Delhi.
5. Kumar, Sushil 1994, Engineering Materials, Standard Publishers & Distributors, Delhi.
6. Rangwala, S.C.1997, " Engineering Materials ", Charotar Publishing House, Anand.
7. Surendra Singh 1996, " Building Materials ", Vikas Publishing Company, New Delhi.
8. Arora S.P. and Bindra S.P.1997, " Building Construction Planning Techniques and method of Construction " , Dhanpat Rai and Sons, New Delhi.
9. Pewifoy R.L. 1999, " Formwork for Concrete Structures ", McGraw Hill Book Co.India.
10. Jha J and Sinha S.K. 1993, " Construction and Foundation Engineering ", Khanna Publishers, India.